[rabbitmq-discuss] Duplicated message and unknown delivery tag after ack

Lukasz Olczak lukasz.jan.olczak at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 17:30:04 BST 2013

Hi,

I have RabbitMQ 3.1.1, Erlang R16B deployed on my laptop and a collection
of consumers consuming messages from single queue through loopback
interface. Consumers are written in Java (I use a spring-rabbit 1.1.1
library) and every consumer uses a distinct thread.
During a heavy load very strange errors occurred. Some messages were
duplicated and delivered to two consumers in the same time (in the same
second). Both consumers after a processing acknowledged the message and
then one of them received shutdown signal with an error message:
com.rabbitmq.client.ShutdownSignalException: channel error; reason:
{#method<channel.close>(reply-code=406, reply-text=PRECONDITION_FAILED -
unknown delivery tag 1, class-id=60, method-id=80), null, ""}
Every thread uses a distinct channel. So, single message is delivered and
acknowledged in the same channel.
I reviewed the whole code both mine and spring and didn't find any bug.

Anybody knows why RabbitMQ duplicates messages on a single broker with a
publisher and consumers connected through loopback interface?
How can I handle it? or where did I make a mistake?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Lukasz