[rabbitmq-discuss] Push to back of Queue on NAck

Ceri Storey ceri at lshift.net
Fri Jul 26 17:07:03 BST 2013

(26/07/13 16:49), Tom Anderson wrote:
> Implemented exactly as described there, it yields an infinite loop for
> unprocessable messages. You might therefore also want to keep a count
> of the number of processing attempts in a header on the message, and
> more thoroughly reject messages which reach some maximum number of
> attempts. I think you could do the final rejection by setting a
> routing key on the message when you reject it for the last time, and
> having exchange B be a direct exchange which routes to either queue B
> or some final deadletter queue.
>
> If you want exponential backoff in the retries, then life gets more
> complicated (multiple timeout queues, selected between by a routing
> key set by the consumer of A?). We are currently pussyfooting around
> this issue at my company. I will report back here if we ever implement
> a good solution!

I've just written some code to do exactly this; limited retries with
exponential backoff. That said, we're kind of cheating in that we store
the retry state in a secondary datastore and buffer messages in the client.

So whenever we receive a message, we:

  * When we post each message, we assign it a unique message_id
  * Lookup message's due time by it's message_id property in our datastore
  * Stash the message in a heap queue
  * When the message becomes due, remove it from the heap queue and pass
    it to the client code.
  * If the client code succeeds, then we finally ack the message.
    Otherwise, we reject the message.

Whilst you can scale this horizontally, you will need enough buffer
space to hold a reasonable proportion of your queue, although/what/
proportion depends on how much you care about timeliness. Also, you are
effectively implementing a secondary queue in your application
(retaining rabbit for it's reliability properties), which seems less
than ideal.