[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ scalability design question

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Wed Jul 24 09:50:17 BST 2013

Flavio Pompermaier:

> From what I understood queues cannot be splitted among different machines, a single queue resided only on a single node..am I wrong?

Queue contents are not sharded but can be mirrored.

> What if I discover that my machine is not able to keep up with message rate?

Use multiple queues. A single queue certainly will have scalability limitations.

> Maybe I should start mirroring the queue on multiple servers so I can multiply the number of consumers?

Mirroring won't help. Increasing the # of consumers and/or queues likely will. Mirroring is an HA
feature.

> Is this approach scalable or does the synchronization overhead kill the performance?

Mirroring involves moving more data between cluster nodes so yes, it does affect cluster
throughput.
--
MK