[rabbitmq-discuss] is a topic exchange _required_ for rabbitmq-mqtt?

David van Geest davidv at spindance.com
Thu Jul 18 20:43:27 BST 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM, David van Geest <davidv at spindance.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at the https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-mqtt plugin.
>  It states in the README that:
>
> "The exchange is expected to be an AMQP topic exchange."
>
> Is there any reason it could not be a direct exchange, or a custom
> exchange such as this: https://github.com/jbrisbin/random-exchange.
>
> Clearly the MQTT PUBLISH topic would be unused in this case, but I don't
> necessarily care about it.

Thinking about this a little more, I really would not want to lose the
ability to do topic publishing in MQTT.  Fortunately, it seems there's
another way.  With Rabbit's Exchange-to-Exchange bindings (
http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2010/10/19/exchange-to-exchange-bindings/), it
seems that MQTT messages could first go to a topic exchange, and then based
on exchange-to-exchange bindings, be routed to a custom exchange (such as
the random one above).

Any reason this wouldn't work?  Am I really off in the weeds?