[rabbitmq-discuss] consume messages from multiple queues based on wildcard?

David van Geest davidv at spindance.com
Wed Jul 17 21:50:02 BST 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Michael Klishin <mklishin at gopivotal.com>wrote:

> David van Geest:
>
> > I was wondering if it was possible to have a consumer subscribe to
> multiple queues, based on some kind of wildcard pattern.
> >
> > For example, if all the queues in question were named "messages.<MAC>"
> where <MAC> is a MAC address, could a consumer subscribe to "messages.*"?
>
> No, but you can set up message routing such that messages.<MAC> would go
> to the same queue.
> Then you can add as many consumers as you need to that queue.
>
> In other words, with RabbitMQ pattern matching happens at the routing
> stage, not message delivery.

Michael, thanks for the reply.  The motivation for this question is that we
would like to avoid one monolithic queue for all messages.  We're looking
at clustering Rabbit, but even then your queue resides on one server, which
could be a scalability problem if your number of message producers and thus
message rate continually goes up.

We would like to scale our worker processes on the other end of the message
queue(s) up and down as needed, without having the message producers know
anything about it.  Any ideas on how to achieve this goal?