[rabbitmq-discuss] Update: [Bug] Memory leak in 3.1.3 (Ubuntu)

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 16 10:33:10 BST 2013

Louis,

On 16/07/13 10:30, Matthias Radestock wrote:
> On 16/07/13 10:17, Louis Bouchard wrote:
>> So there seems to be an existing leak situation up to the current
>> version of rabbitmq-server.
>
> As pointed out when this was raised originally, the test never actually
> consumes any messages.

Ah, I notice the latest test instructions at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rabbitmq-server/+bug/1197380
run the producer and consumer in separate shells, so this is no longer
true....

> Therefore it is no surprise that the memory usage
> is increasing, as more and more messages are enqueued. That is
> completely normal and expected behaviour.

The likely reason this is happening now is that the producer is
producing faster than the consumer is consuming. Thus the number of
messages enqueued in the broker increases over time.

You can verify this by running 'rabbitmqctl list_queues' and check the
message count.

Matthias.