[rabbitmq-discuss] Question about long-lived connections

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 16 09:00:45 BST 2013

Hi,

On 15/07/13 19:40, Marcos Torres wrote:

[...]

> I'm not sure about the underlying connection. Is there a time out I
> need to be aware of?

There is no default broker-imposed time limit.

> Doing some research, I saw something about the RequestedHeartbeat but No
> idea to use that.

This is a connection setting and does to directly contribute to the
sending or receiving of messages. The heartbeat will keep the connection
alive if a network device causes timeouts. If will also help peers to
detect broken connections faster. See
https://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-dotnet-client/v3.1.3/rabbitmq-dotnet-client-3.1.3-client-htmldoc/html/type-RabbitMQ.Client.ConnectionFactory.html#field-F:RabbitMQ.Client.ConnectionFactory.RequestedHeartbeat

> Also, I know there is the Shovel plug-in but not sure if it fits in this
> scenario

I don't think that is relevant.

> I'm using C# and the .NET client libraries.

I would suggest that you study the tutorial examples and the C♯
translations:

https://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-one-python.html
https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-tutorials/tree/master/dotnet

If you still have questions afterwards then please ask.

-Emile