[rabbitmq-discuss] Question about long-lived connections

Marcos Torres marcos.torres at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 19:21:56 BST 2013

First of all, I'm doing my first project with RabbitMQ and I'm very happy
with the results so far, so, good jobs guys.

Right now I'm working on a Windows Service and I need a way to listen on a
queue all the time.

Here´s is the scenario:

Client A puts a message to a Queue (Q1)
Client B does the same thing to (Q1)

Service S listens to Q1 for incoming messages.

Something like this:

ClientA / ClientB => Q1  => { Service }

So far I was thinking in the EventingBasicConsumer on the Service side, but
I'm not sure about the underlying connection. Is there a time out I need to
be aware of?
A push-based approach would be the ideal thing.
Doing some research, I saw something about the RequestedHeartbeat but No
idea to use that.

Also, I know there is the Shovel plug-in but not sure if it fits in this
scenario because I still need to face the consume of the Q1 queue, that´s
the real issue.

I'm using C# and the .NET client libraries.

Thanks in advance,
Marcos