[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ QUEUE MESSAGES

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jul 15 09:35:00 BST 2013

On 12/07/13 21:37, NuPogodi wrote:
> That is great that you are treating it as feature to provide more consistent
> queue throughput by optionaly preventing paging. The system will be much
> easier to analyse and plan for a deployment. Having a given message size and
> using limited-length queues it will be possible to utilize RAM resources to
> higher extent with a constant and high message processing rate.

As Emile pointed out, until we introduce paging-free queues, you can get
queues to utilise more memory by setting the vm_memory_high_watermark to
values greater than 1.0. The downside is that you could get a memory
spike that causes the broker to run out of memory. So when running with
such a setting it may be advisable to configure plenty of swap space
since then at least the broker will continue to work (albeit with
severely degraded performance) rather than crash.

Matthias.