[rabbitmq-discuss] load distribution among queue consumers and consumer_tag in non-exclusive mode

Ashok Anand ashok.anand at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 06:16:31 BST 2013

I am looking at message distribution among multiple consumers listening to
the same queue..   Should these consumers use different consumer tags?

I tried with non-exclusive access to the queue with 4 consumers using same
consumer tag. My question is whether using same consumer tag will give
predicted behavior - or I must use different consumer tags.

I did find that messages get distributed among 4 consumers in round-robin
manner even using same consumer tag.  Just wondering if this happened by
chance, and ideally, these consumers must use different customer tags? I am
not sure about semantics of consumer tags in non-exclusive mode access..