[rabbitmq-discuss] Mirrored queues behind a load balancer

James Lewis james.lewis at 7digital.com
Wed Jul 3 18:12:48 BST 2013

Hi Girish, just a disclaimer: I'm no expert and I'm only just going through
the motions of setting up a HA cluster myself.  However, I think I can
answer a couple of your questions.

1.

> Likewise, if I manually create a queue on one node, it immediately shows
> up on the other node as well.

Not unless you specifically set the queue to be mirrored.   You could
create a policy that matches queues using a regex (so queues starting with
a prefix of your choice for example) and once that policy is in place, then
any queue you declare that starts with that prefix will be mirrored across
your cluster (assuming you've set your policy to ha-all).  So basically,
once you've setup a cluster in rabbitmq you haven't setup mirroring.
You've set up a logical cluster (collection) of nodes running rabbitmq that
all know about each other.  To implement mirroring you then need to create
the policy.

2.

> Would that work? Is that the recommended approach?

The clustering guide says yes that approach will work.  However the
mirrored queue guide talks about master - slave replication which makes me
think of setting the load balancer up to fail over to a slave in the case
of a master failure rather than to round-robin the requests to all nodes in
the cluster...  I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm this.

Hopefully some of that is of use to you!

Cheers,
James

This email, including attachments, is private and confidential. If you have
received this email in error please notify the sender and delete it from
your system. Emails are not secure and may contain viruses. No liability
can be accepted for viruses that might be transferred by this email or any
attachment. Any unauthorised copying of this message or unauthorised
distribution and publication of the information contained herein are
prohibited. 7digital Limited. Registered office: 69 Wilson Street, London
EC2A 2BB. Registered in
England and Wales. Registered No. 04843573.