[rabbitmq-discuss] Shunting messages from one queue to another

Michael Klishin michael.s.klishin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 12:43:18 BST 2013

2013/7/3 Tom Anderson <tom.anderson at timgroup.com>

> I don't know offhand how to start a brand new broker node. Is this
> something that will be obvious if i read the documentation, or is there any
> trick to it?

Just start another instance of Rabbit. If you already have a package
installed, you can use precompiled tarballs
and run RabbitMQ in the foreground with

./sbin/rabbitmq-server

(config files will go under ./etc/rabbitmq). Then you can monitor queue
sizes on your main rabbit instance
to know when shovel has finished transferring messages.

> Will there be any surprises if we do this on the same machine as a running
> node?

You will have to enable the shovel plugin and make Rabbit use a different
port (or disable TCP listeners
altogether).

With a tarball install, you do that via

./sbin/rabbitmq-plugins enable rabbitmq_shovel
--
MK

http://github.com/michaelklishin
http://twitter.com/michaelklishin