[rabbitmq-discuss] High Cpu Usage

Chris Penev cpenev at incognito.com
Fri Jan 18 22:24:19 GMT 2013

On December 21, 2012, I noticed my rabbitmq server using up 100% cpu even
though I had nothing connected to it. I checked my uptime (70 days) and
noted when rabbitmq was started (Oct 25).

Two days ago I once again, accidentally decided to check what processes are
running and how much cpu they are taking, noticing rabbitmq once again at a
steady 45% cpu.

Following this I wrote a simple shell script to monitor the resource usage
of rabbitmq. It became clear in the first eight hours and rabbitmq was
"leaking" resources, consuming more and more cpu, even though _no_ services
were connected to it. I kept the script running (cron job taking eight top
samples every 30 minutes) and graphed the cpu usage using gnuplot
(following the first eight hours, I then did start connecting and
disconnecting rabbitmq-clients).

I have attached below the graph I plotted, as well as the top samples that
were taken. The version of rabbitmq I am using is 2.7.1

$ echo $(< /etc/issue); uname -a; erl -version
Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid \n \l
Linux cpenev 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.32-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Erlang (SMP,ASYNC_THREADS) (BEAM) emulator version 5.9.1
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/attachments/20130118/4d2eba91/attachment.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: cpu.txt.gz
Type: application/x-gzip
Size: 11859 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/attachments/20130118/4d2eba91/attachment.bin>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: graph.png
Type: image/png
Size: 64889 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/attachments/20130118/4d2eba91/attachment.png>

More information about the rabbitmq-discuss mailing list