[rabbitmq-discuss] Securing Messages Over WAN Link

Richard Raseley richard at raseley.com
Tue Jan 15 23:29:36 GMT 2013

I have a desire to send messages via RabbitMQ over a WAN link between data
centers in different continents. One of the primary concerns that I have is
for securing the messages while they are in transit.

I originally was considering offloading the encryption / decryption to our
commercial load balancers because I was concerned about high processing
overhead for encryption and decryption on each packet; upon further
investigation I had to eliminate this as an option because our commercial
load balancers only allow us to encrypt / decrypt the traffic if it is
already in the HTTP format (which RabbitMQ's communications obviously are
not).

Could anyone provide any guidance on what they use for securing traffic
over the WAN? Is the built in SSL / TLS support in RabbitMQ (as outlined
here http://www.rabbitmq.com/ssl.html) sufficient for such purposes? Should
I be concerned about the additional overhead in processing requirements for
an estimated 10 million+ messages per day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.