[rabbitmq-discuss] Message routing

Michael Klishin michael.s.klishin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:28:40 GMT 2013

2013/1/14 Sudhakar Chokkalingam (schokkal) <schokkal at cisco.com>

> Could please help me, how we can do this round-robin distribution in queue
> level.

Sudhakar,

If you want to distribute messages between queues, you need to use
Consistent Hash exchange [1] type
which is available as a plugin. With RabbitMQ 3.0, you can enable it with

rabbitmq-plugins enable rabbitmq_consistent_hash_exchange

If having multiple consumers on a shared queue is an option, with equal
prefetch levels you will get round
robin delivery to consumers, as demonstrated in [2].

With multiple queues you will get better overall throughput on multicore
machines. With a single shared
queue there is no need to use any plugins.

1. https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-consistent-hash-exchange
2. http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-two-python.html
--
MK