[rabbitmq-discuss] Server-Side Limit for a Channel's Unacknowledged Messages

Dave Seltzer dseltzer at tveyes.com
Sat Jan 12 20:28:57 GMT 2013

If you're asking me, then I think the answer might be the ability to set a
limit on the number of un-acked messages per channel, and then the ability
to limit the number of channels per user/vhost.

Perhaps the new Policy framework in RabbitMQ 3.0+ would provide an
interesting way to configure this behavior.

I think that part of the problem is that most of the examples in the
ClientAPI documentation don't touch on this issue, so a naive user, who
copies and pastes an example, might find themselves with an enormous
pre-fetch queue and never even know it. But, even if my users were more
conscientious about setting this variable, I think there's still a
compelling argument to be made that a broker-administrator should be able
to limit it.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the complexity!

-D

--
Dave Seltzer <dseltzer at tveyes.com>
Chief Systems Architect