[rabbitmq-discuss] .NET client with 0-9-1 protocol is sending the AMQP 0-8 header

Gotthard, Petr Petr.Gotthard at Honeywell.com
Tue Jan 8 08:14:25 GMT 2013

Matthias,
at least the .NET client sends a different header than the Erlang client, although RabbitMQ indicates both connections are using AMQP 0-9-1.

The Erlang client (by default, without any protocol switching) sends "AMQP 0x00 0x00 0x09 0x01", which is a protocol header for AMQP 0-9-1 (based on http://www.rabbitmq.com/resources/specs/amqp0-9-1.pdf). This is as expected.

However, the .NET client (by default, but also when 0-9-1 is set explicitly) sends "AMQP 0x01 0x01 0x09 0x01", which is a protocol header for AMQP 0-8 (http://www.rabbitmq.com/resources/specs/amqp0-8.pdf). I believe this is wrong.

How shall I prove it? ;-) Attached is a Wireshark screenshot from Erlang and .NET communication. Do I do something wrong? Did I miss some errata to the standard?

I thought I use the wrong protocol, so I did set it explicitly by:
            ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory();
            factory.Protocol = Protocols.AMQP_0_9_1;

but the outcome was the same as before. I use the .NET client from August 2012 (version 2.8.5).

Please note that I manually inspect all the protocol frames and the rest of the communication does (seem to) match the 0-9-1 specification also for the .NET client. It's only the header which is.... different.

Are you sure there cannot be a bug?

Regards,
Petr