[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq and invalid hostname

Prabodh Upreti prabodh.upreti at vce.com
Fri Feb 22 15:44:19 GMT 2013

Hello

I can install/run rabbitmq perfectly fine in my normal setup.  The problem
is when I have to install it in a box where hostname can't be validated at
time of rpm install.   For instance, let's say host name is set as
xyz.abc.com.

I see that in my working environment(where hostname is resolvable), database
and log files are created as rabbit at xyz.log etc.

what happens in the above senarios where the hostname is not resolvable. Is
the install going to work fine?  Just to validate this I went ahead and
changed the hostname to testhostname.abc.com in my rabbitmq working
environment.  I went ahead and modified rabbitmq-evn.conf NODENAME to
rabbit at testhostname. Getting a lot of errors.

The reason, I have to do all this is because I need to package everything
before shipping to customer environment.  The hostname/FQDN specified can't
be validated in my environment but I still need to make sure everything is
setup correctly.  The customer is just going to put it in their environment
and everything should work fine.  I would appreciate some guidance from you.
Thank you.

Regards