[rabbitmq-discuss] Thread per channel and partitioning by channel (java client)

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Feb 15 21:19:51 GMT 2013

Jonathan,

On 15/02/13 20:53, Jonathan Halterman wrote:
> What I was reading was from here:
>
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/api-guide.html#consuming
>
> "Each Channel has its own dispatch thread"

That isn't meant to imply that there is one thread per channel, though I
can see how it could be read that way.

Consumer processing happens on the threads in the Consumer thread pool
See www.rabbitmq.com/api-guide.html#consumer-thread-pool. But processing
is constrained s.t. all messages arriving on a channel are processed
serially, i.e. at any point in time at most one thread in the pool is
processing consumer work for a given channel.

I am cc'ing my colleague Steve, who may be able to shed more light on
this and what he meant by "dispatch thread" above.

Matthias.