[rabbitmq-discuss] Performance of One vs. Many Topic Exchanges

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu Feb 14 12:42:40 GMT 2013

Hi Chris,

On 13/02/13 21:17, Chris wrote:
> The only thing I am unsure of is if there is any difference in
> performance?  Multiple exchanges are more expensive in memory, but will
> a single exchange need more CPU to route messages because it is dealing
> with so many more disparate bindings?

My guess would be that performance and memory use of these options won't
differ hugely, but don't take my word for it - perform a test on a
representative dataset.

You should decide whether you value a good fit to your problem over
operational considerations and choose accordingly. You might consider
exchange-to-exchange bindings to group exchanges:

 http://www.rabbitmq.com/e2e.html

-Emile