[rabbitmq-discuss] Python worker consuming 100% cpu

Manuchandraprasad R manuchandraprasadr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 09:25:13 GMT 2013

I worte this python script which acts as an RPC server by modifying the
default RPC example in RabbitMQ tutorial found
here<http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-six-python.html>.
It runs fine in my laptop. But when i run it in an amazon ec2 High CPU
Medium Instance with these specs :

1.7 GiB of memory

5 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each)

350 GB of instance storage

It takes up 100% CPU. Although my laptop with almost the same config runs
this with less than 4% CPU use.I run this in Ubuntu-12.04 in both my laptop
and amazon.

Here is my code

    #!/usr/bin/env python
    import pika
    import commands
    import socket
    import base64

    connection = pika.BlockingConnection(pika.ConnectionParameters(
             host='localhost'))
    channel = connection.channel()
    channel.queue_declare(queue='rpc_queue')
    def on_request(ch, method, props, body):
        #print body
        body = base64.b64decode(body)
        print body
        run = commands.getoutput(body)
        response = socket.gethostname()
        print response
        ch.basic_publish(exchange='',
                        routing_key=props.reply_to,
                        properties=pika.BasicProperties(correlation_id = \
                                                      props.correlation_id),
                        body=str(response))
        ch.basic_ack(delivery_tag = method.delivery_tag)
    channel.basic_qos(prefetch_count=1)
    channel.basic_consume(on_request, queue='rpc_queue')
    print " [x] Awaiting RPC requests"
    channel.start_consuming()

How can i fix this ?

Manu