[rabbitmq-discuss] Regarding about rabbitMQ server's queue...

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Thu Feb 7 21:34:21 GMT 2013

Hi

On 7 Feb 2013, at 18:11, PRASAD CHAURE wrote:
> 1. Scenario : RabbitMQ server is continuously running and listening the specific application.
> And that application is sending the result data (message) in queue. And the required messages of queue are read by RabbitMQ client.
>
> If Client gets shut down/off for 2hrs. after that time again clients come up (on/logg in) iand start accessing the message from RabbitMQ server.
> Then will these client can get the messages which are generated in betweent this shut down time?

Once messages are in a queue, they stay there until they're consumed by someone, or the queue is purged/deleted or the broker/server is shut down. If the messages are persistent (marked as delivery-mode=2) then even when the broker is shut down, the messages are still there after it restarts.

To answer your specific question about clients getting shut down: if the client goes away and comes back two hours later, then any messages that arrived in the queue whilst the client was away, will be visible to the client upon its return. Unless of course, other clients came along in the meanwhile and 'took' the messages for themselves.

> 2. Is the RabbitMQ server maintain some specific timed history message
> like...2 week back information of application. Is that maintain in queue?

Messages stay in the queue until they are consumed. Once a message has been consumed (i.e., delivered to a client who is consuming) then they are deleted/removed from the queue. A message can stay in the queue for a whole year if you like, but once any client comes along and reads the message then the message is gone.

> 3. How cae we define the size of queue?

You cannot put a bound on the size of a queue in the current version of RabbitMQ. There is an open ticket to add this feature some time in the future. Usually people want to put a limit on the size of a queue in order to impose some form of flow control, however RabbitMQ does this all by itself. I'd suggest a careful reading of http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html to see if what the broker does already meets your needs.

> 4. How can we stop the to accessing the server from clients? Is any command is exist?

I'm terribly sorry but I'll have to ask you to rephrase this question, as it makes no grammatical sense whatsoever. I'm not trying to be snarky here - I totally understand that English is not everyone's first language and I'm very keen to help, but despite my best efforts to guess at their intended meaning, I simply cannot make any sense of those words.

Warm regards,
Tim