[rabbitmq-discuss] How to handle 'RabbitMQ cluster unaccessible' issues? Is using shovels the best solution?

Arizanov asen_arizanov at abv.bg
Mon Feb 4 07:54:26 GMT 2013

Hi guys,

We are doing some realtime replication of critical data and there may be
cases when the RabbitMQ cluster is unaccessible. E.g. the cluster is being
patched or there just a network connectivity issue. On one side we can have
local rabbitmq installations inside the webserver and shovels, which
transmit the data to the cluster. On the other side, we can develop our own
database and a service over it, which is scheduled to transmit the messages
to the cluster when it becomes available. So is using the 'shovel' the best
practise? Does the statement
"A shovel behaves like a well-written client application, which connects to
its source and destination, reads and writes messages, and copes with
connection failures." from http://www.rabbitmq.com/shovel.html means so?

Thank a lot in advance,
Asen Arizanov,
Senior Software Developer,