[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ 3.1.5 crashed

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Dec 19 11:15:52 GMT 2013

Thanks.

The VM crashed because it couldn't allocate memory.

Normally the memory monitor should detect that RabbitMQ is starting to
use too much memory and prevent further publishing before reaching this
point (see http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html#memsup). However, you hit
a long-standing bug that made this less likely to happen.

When running RabbitMQ on a 32 bit Erlang VM on a 64 bit OS as you are,
the memory monitor detects (in your case) 12GB physical memory in the
OS, but then adjusts that for the smaller 32 bit address space.
Unfortunately in versions of RabbitMQ prior to 3.2.1 running on Linux it
adjusts the memory limit down to 4GB - but in fact the kernel will
generally only make 2GB addressable.

So the memory alarm will only go off when really quite close to the
limit. And in this 32 bit VM on 64 bit OS that's especially deadly -
normally when you run out of physical memory you start to swap, which is
not great but not disastrous - but when you run out of address space you
hit a brick wall and die.

In fact I think I'm going to beef up that warning message, it should say
"crashes are much more likely" or similar.

So there are various things you could do about this (upgrade RabbitMQ,
reduce vm_memory_high_watermark) but by far the best thing would be to
start using a 64 bit Erlang build.

Cheers, Simon

On 18/12/13 23:31, Kapil Goyal wrote:
> Thanks Simon,
>
> I am attaching more logs (zipped) from that day.
>
> Crash dump is available at http://goo.gl/iB5Z8Y.
>
> Thanks
> Kapil

Simon MacMullen