[rabbitmq-discuss] Stability/Reliability of a cluster with mirrored queue

Mirosław Nagaś mgolden at smoczus.pl
Mon Dec 16 15:10:55 GMT 2013

Hi,

I would like to know your opinion about stability/reliability of a
cluster with mirrored queues. I'm considering to use it and even tried
with 3.2.0. I guess I don't have to point out how huge disappointment
was it. And what's worse, if you skim recent releases notes, it's really
hard to find a release without some bug fixes related to clustering
and/or HA.

What I'm asking is, is a cluster setup with mirrored queues stable and
reliable and past bugs/problems appeared really rarely in anomalous use
cases/conditions or the reality is that it has some
stability/reliability issues that affects every robust use cases at some
point?

We have been running a single node without interruption on production
(cloud) for about 1,5 year. Having in mind all past bugs, what I'm
worried about is that, in a year from now I will come to a conclusion
that because of a cluster with mirrored queue my overall reliability
and/or stability was much worse than eg. just two separate nodes behind
LB (maintainability is not a big deal here; we use persistence and can
afford restoring messages from a failed node manually in case of a cloud
machine failure).

Maybe someone can share his experience from production run?

/mn