[rabbitmq-discuss] File descriptors slowly reaching 1024...

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Aug 29 11:02:07 BST 2013

On 23/08/2013 1:03PM, Michael Klishin wrote:
> Guillaume Vernat:
>
>> How to reduce used file descriptors with rabbimq 3.0.x cluster ?
>> Master is slowly reaching 1024. Help say that it doesnt matter but
>> I dislike this yellow color and I do prefer the green one :)

If there is a gradual increase that suggests that some client is leaking
connections (each connection takes one FD, RabbitMQ then uses some of
the rest for queue disk storage). Check the connections list in mgmt to
see if anything is out of the ordinary.

If there is no connection leak but you have a large number of queues
then the number of FDs used by RabbitMQ for disk storage can be quite
large - but this is softer; as FDs start to become scarce RabbitMQ will
try to use fewer for disk storage.

> Guillaume,
>
> You can keep fewer connections open but you really should increase
> open file descriptors limit for the rabbitmq user instead:
>
> http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/tuning/open-files-limit/#Changing-the-limit
>https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~brecht/servers/openfiles.html

Of course, if something is leaking connections, then increasing the
limit will only delay the problem :-)

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen