[rabbitmq-discuss] Unable to Start Cluster Nodes on Windows

Cordell, Ron Ron.Cordell at RelayHealth.com
Wed Aug 28 19:18:32 BST 2013

We have a 5 node cluster that went down last night as a result of a Windows patching event where the patch scripts didn't insure the integrity of the cluster in between stopping/patching/starting nodes.

We are unable to now start any node in the cluster – the rabbitmqctl.bat start says it is unable to start the service.

Attempting to look at logs is not possible until the machine is rebooted because the Erlang process has a lock and we are unable to kill the Elang process.

This is RabbitMQ 3.1.3 with Erlang 16B.

First question I have is what the heck do we have to do to kill the Erlang process? It doesn't respond to kill <pid> or killing the process from the task dialog. Since we have RabbitMQ installed as a service, we have to set the service to not start automatically to prevent the erlang process from starting.

Unfortunately, rebooting the machine doesn't allow access to the logs. Even though there's no Erlang process running, the log files remain unaccessible so I can't find out what's going on.

At this point I'm considering uninstalling/re-installing in order to see if we can at least get the cluster up and running again, but I'm afraid we'll lose all messages.

Thanks for any ideas…

-Ron