[rabbitmq-discuss] If 2 nodes out a 3 node cluster, the third one becomes unresponsive until one of the nodes is brought back.

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Aug 7 10:53:28 BST 2013

On 06/08/13 16:47, Yamil Einar Asusta Santos wrote:
> I have been testing my cluster and I have come across an unexpected
> behavior. As explained in the subject, the cluster runs well on 3
> nodes. If I bring 1 node down, it still runs smoothly. But if I bring
> a second node down, the third one becomes unresponsive. This is what
> the third node provides after running "rabbitmqctl report":

You have pause_minority mode enabled. From
http://www.rabbitmq.com/partitions.html#automatic-handling:

> In pause-minority mode RabbitMQ will automatically pause cluster
> nodes which determine themselves to be in a minority after seeing
> other nodes go down.

So when you stop two nodes, the third determines itself to be in a
minority, and pauses, becoming unresponsive.

If this behaviour is not what you want, then you don't want
pause_minority mode.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen