[rabbitmq-discuss] Exchanges: Publish In/Out difference?

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Aug 6 16:51:13 BST 2013

On 06/08/13 16:43, ku3ia wrote:
> When I publish message I see at management GUI that message already
> published. It is OK. Also I have a message box with "Acks" message. It is OK
> too. After that I'm removing my queue which has binded to exchange and run
> program again. I haven't any error and "acks" message appeared again.
>
> As I understand producer knows that message has been published ("acks"
> message) but seems it is no correct, because it is not routed to destination
> queue.

The ack you get back from the broker in this situation just means that
the broker has received the message and done whatever it's contractually
required to do - if there is no queue then the defined behaviour is to
drop the message, and the ack just tells you this has happened.

You might want to set the mandatory flag on publish. This will ensure
that you get a basic.return back if the message is *not* routed to at
least one queue.

See http://www.rabbitmq.com/confirms.html and
http://www.rabbitmq.com/reliability.html for more info.

Cheers, Simon