[rabbitmq-discuss] Chat backend with chatrooms, design/performance question

Mathias Stjernström mathias at globalinn.com
Sat Aug 3 11:20:47 BST 2013

Hi.

We are currently implementing/rewriting our backend chat engine. Lets say
we have 100 rooms with 500-1000 consumers in each room. To each room there
is one publisher.

We have tried two different implementations (but without real data).

1. We use a single Topic Exchange where messages are distrubuted to each
room based on routing keys

2. We use one Fanout Exchange per room

Anyone have ideas/thoughts of which would be better in a
performance/scalabillity point of view?

Best regards

Mathias