[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ as messaging hub between .Net and JMS based services

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Mon Apr 29 15:56:22 BST 2013

Ryan,
First of all, apologies for not responding more quickly.

You may have noticed that some support for a JMS client using RabbitMQ as the broker is now available from vFabric Suite Release 5.3 [1], as part of vFabric RabbitMQ 3.0[2].

What is offered in this first version (RabbitMQ JMS 1.0.0) is a Java Client and an extra RabbitMQ plugin that together offer the core JMS functions at the level of JMS Spec 1.1.

The key features not offered are:
    Full transaction support (local transactions are supported without full recovery)
    Queue Browsing
    Queue Selection
    Exception Listeners
    Connection Consumers and Server Sessions.

The JMS Admin interface can be used to define Destinations and create Connections and these are serialisable and can be delivered over JNDI to app code.

The JMC Client interface can send messages to and receive messages from topics and queues using the JMS interface (including the use of topic selection). The messages generated are structured specifically for JMS client use, in particular they use Java serialisation for payloads.  This means that there is little help for a standard RabbitMQ client to read the messages without some extra 'decoding' work, though for raw binary payloads it would not be difficult.  The queue names and exchanges are JMS client specific, but not difficult to discover.

It is quite a different story for a non-JMS client to send messages to a JMS Destination.  This would involve quite a lot of 'coding', as there is nothing in the JMS client to allow the definition of RabbitMQ Queues as Destinations for reading.

While there are plans to subsequently extend this support to include some of the missing items above, there is nothing in plan yet for smooth interoperation between JMS and non-JMS RabbitMQ clients.  We are presently evaluating demand.

Currently, the first service release is being developed to fix outstanding bugs and this will be made available at some point in the (near) future.

Your input is very valuable to us.  If you have specific requirements please make them known, either on this forum as usual, or to me directly on <spowell at gopivotal.com>.

[1] https://www.vmware.com/support/vfabric-platform/doc/vfabric-suite-rn-5.3.0.html
[2] https://www.vmware.com/support/vfabric-rabbitmq/doc/vfabric-rabbitmq-rn-3.0.4.html

Steve Powell
[M: +44-7815-838-558; H:+44-1962-775-598]
Links: Pivotal, SpringSource, VMware, Virgo, RabbitMQ.
Good design:
   is innovative, useful, aesthetic;
   is understandable, unobtrusive, honest;
   is long-lasting, thorough, environmentally friendly;
   and is as little design as possible.
Copyright Dieter Rams, amended March 2003; October 2009; and August 2012