[rabbitmq-discuss] Heartbeat -> re-establish connection flow Question

m.luchak at smartasking.com m.luchak at smartasking.com
Fri Sep 28 20:34:33 BST 2012

Hi All,

We are running rabbitmq on Android and continue to have serious problems with maintaining a 3G tcp consumer connection.  We have implemented heartbeats but I am struggling to understand the flow to monitor and re-establish connections.  If I understand correctly:

Enabling heartbeats WITHOUT handling ShutdownSignalException would actually be counter productive as a number of missed heartbeats would close the connection.

Is the "right way to do it" :

Enable heartbeats on the server

Setting (in Java) factory.setRequestedHeartbeat(HEARTBEAT_TIMEOUT);  will "auto-magically" enable      heartbeats on the client and no other call is neccessary to send heartbeats <- (big doubt here)

Handle ShutdownSignalException cause and reconnect if it was a hard close..

Does that sound about right?

thanks all,
Matthew