[rabbitmq-discuss] Dead Letter and Unknown Field?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sun Sep 23 09:11:44 BST 2012

Jordan,

On 23/09/12 02:37, Jordan wrote:
> I'm trying to perform rpc on top of rabbitmq.  However, if a rpc request
> sits idle in the queue for 2 seconds, I want the message to be dropped
> from the queue and for the client to throw an error.
>
> To do this, I've been playing around with dead letter exchanges.
>   However, I keep seeing:
>
>     /Users/jordan/agles/web/back/node_modules/amqp/amqp.js:350
>              throw new Error("Unknown field value type " +
>     buffer[buffer.read-1]);
>                    ^
>     Error: Unknown field value type 65

Looks like you are running into
https://github.com/postwait/node-amqp/issues/86, which, afaict, got
fixed in https://github.com/postwait/node-amqp/pull/105 and merged about
a month ago (though for some reason the issue wasn't closed). So I
suggest you grab the latest node-amqp from github.

Regards,

Matthias.