[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq cluster on amazon ec2

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 12 10:17:14 BST 2012

Hi,

On 11/09/12 17:35, tetlika wrote:
> As far as I can see - rabbitmq works with short hostnames (like host1,
> rabbit2, etc.), even if a node has a hostname like host.example.com -
> it refuses to work with that.

First make sure you really need clustering. Unless all hosts are in the
same zone federation might be a better option. See
http://www.rabbitmq.com/distributed.html
for a discussion.

If you control DNS and all hosts are in the same domain then configuring
a default search domain should be sufficient. That will have a similar
effect to placing entries  in the /etc/hosts files for each node.

If the conditions for that solution are not met then you could manually
change all the instances of "-sname" to "-name" in the broker startup
scripts. Unfortunately the default release of rabbitmq-server does not
offer this as a configuration option and this configuration has not
received much testing. If you do select this option then we would
appreciate your feedback.

-Emile