[rabbitmq-discuss] FYI: RabbitMQ default installation broken on Ubuntu (potential all Debian-likes)

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Fri Sep 7 15:41:38 BST 2012

On 09/07/2012 02:49 PM, Rene Gallati wrote:
> Since I have no experience with RabbitMQ itself, I have no idea why
> this is so or what exactly is wrong on my (100% clean and default)
> system configuration for this to appear. If RabbitMQ really really
> requires the hostname to be mapped to 127.0.0.1 by default then this
> is the first networking program with this requirement I've encountered
> in over 15 years of administrating linux systems. I think it's a bug
> and this is why I document this here so that it can be fixed.

Hi Rene,

This requirement actually comes from Erlang, upon which RabbitMQ is
based. I have found the hostname resolution behaviour equally
frustrating on CentOS and FreeBSD. Perhaps you would be willing to post
this message to the erlang-questions mailing list as well? That might
even spark a debate about how to improve the way Erlang handles this in
future. I'm not sure what other steps we could/should take to handle
this situation though.

/Tim