[rabbitmq-discuss] Batching messages

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Oct 26 11:45:37 BST 2012

On 26/10/12 11:23, Alexis Richardson wrote:
> ISTM that basic.publish could be extended to accept a set of messages
> as the payload parameter in lieu of a single message.  Then all
> metadata would be the same for all messages in a batch.  In particular
> all routing would be the same.  This would improve throughput
> especially when the disk is involved.

When the disc is *not* involved.

When the disc *is* involved then its costs are going to dominate
everything else.

While such a scheme would benefit in some cases, you'd need quite a
specific workload to really gain from it (one in which queues do very
little work). And it would add noticeable complexity. Of course, it
would help us lie on benchmarks ;-)

So I'm not sure. I may do some experiments on the subject at some point.

Another approach is the entirely client-side approach that Emile
mentions, and that it sounds like Srdan has written. Srdan, would you
like to share? :-)

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen