[rabbitmq-discuss] the cost of creating a queue?

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Oct 17 11:20:20 BST 2012

On 17/10/12 11:16, Francesco Mazzoli wrote:
> 100-200 queues won't be a problem, at all.  I cannot give you exact numbers, but
> creating a queue basically amounts to creating a record in the mnesia database,
> and the record is quite tiny:
> <http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server/file/c6fbb723f718/include/rabbit.hrl#l49>.

The memory cost of the process is higher, although this is not huge
either. To the OP: a few hundred queues is no big deal at all. I would
start to worry when we're talking hundreds of thousands :-)

> There will be an overhead when creating a queue in a clustered rabbit (since the
> mnesia transaction has to be synchronised across the nodes) but there won't be
> much creating an HA queue (the slaves are contacted asynchronously when creating
> the queue).

This sounds like HA queues are cheaper to create than non-HA ones. Which
is not true. To the OP: high rates of queue creation / deletion might be
a problem, but it sounds like you are not planning on doing that.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware