[rabbitmq-discuss] Safely replaying archived messages from an external store

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Wed Oct 17 11:14:12 BST 2012

Hi Charles,

On 16/10/12 17:39, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Does this have obvious holes? Is a better approach (again, not trusting
> the clocks of the clients which add content to the exchange to be
> accurate) available?

I've not analysed your description in detail, but here are some thoughts:

You are correct that AMQP timestamps have 1sec resolution, but nothing
prevents publishers from adding a custom header with greater resolution.

There is a potential for messages to arrive inbetween retrieving
messages from the database and normally consuming messages from the
broker. Make sure you don't leave the door open for race conditions.

You may also want to look at the last value cached plugin:
https://github.com/squaremo/rabbitmq-lvc-plugin
though I'm not sure whether that is used in production.

-Emile