[rabbitmq-discuss] "service rabbitmq-server start" hangs when using python's Popen from subprocess.

Raphaël De GIUSTI raphael.degiusti at guardis.com
Tue Oct 16 11:47:31 BST 2012

Hi everyone,

Starting the rabbitmq-server service with python's Popen from subprocess
makes it hang.

Here's the little snippet to reproduce it (tested on Fedora 16 + Python2.7
and Centos 6.3 + Python2.6)

from subprocess import PIPE, Popen
> proc = Popen('service rabbitmq-server start', shell=True, stderr=PIPE,
> stdout=PIPE)
> print proc.communicate()

Problem is with "stdout=PIPE", I think.

The following snippet works, using proc.wait()

from subprocess import PIPE, Popen
> proc = Popen('service rabbitmq-server start', shell=True, stderr=PIPE,
> stdout=PIPE)
> print proc.wait()

Any idea on how to fix it using proc.communicate() because I need feedback
from the "subprocess.PIPE" ?

Thank you.

Raphael