[rabbitmq-discuss] Errors starting RabbitMQ when cluster membership changes

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Mon Oct 1 18:07:11 BST 2012

Hey Tim,

I was expecting that basic response. Thanks!

However... I still think there may an issue here that hinders RabbitMQ's
deployment in production scenarios. Please correct me if I'm wrong or
missing something.

Hypothetically, what would happen if my 'util' node was zapped by lightning
and I had no way to bring it up in a timely manner. Would I be able to
start the existing cluster nodes (play, play2) "far enough" to run the
proper rabbitmqctl command to remove util from the cluster?

That is, once I've gotten into a bad situation, can I back out of it
gracefully and without message loss? Or is the only option to reset the
entire cluster?

Thanks,

Matt