[rabbitmq-discuss] Federation in 3.0

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Nov 21 10:58:12 GMT 2012

On 20/11/12 19:42, Michael Hart wrote:
> I'm setting up a brand new service that uses RabbitMQ and am running
> into some issues setting up federation. A few questions then:
>
>  1. The doc (http://www.rabbitmq.com/parameters.html) basically states
>     that some parameters are better suited for runtime rather than in
>     config files. I have some huge philosophical and technical issues
>     with this, but let's leave that for later.  I'm interpreting this to
>     read that federation CANNOT be setup using configuration files. Is
>     that correct?

You can export your federation setup via the management plugin, and then
configure that to be loaded at startup:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/management.html#load-definitions

>  2. The docs for 2.8.X seem to have disappeared. Any idea where they are?

We don't keep documentation for old versions of RabbitMQ around on the
website. But for federation specifically, this page:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/old-federation.html

documents 3.0's rabbitmq_old_federation plugin, which is a carbon copy
of 2.8.7's rabbitmq_federation plugin but with a different name.

Cheers, Simon