[rabbitmq-discuss] Java Client Dev. Env Guide & AMQP Abstraction

Jerry Kuch jerryk at rbcon.com
Sat Nov 10 16:43:08 GMT 2012

Hi, Myles...

1) Is there a development environment guide for the Java client lib? I run
> Lubuntu, happy to run Eclipse or IdeaJ (or something else?). I realise this
> is probably obvious to the experienced Java hack but I haven't coded Java
> commercially for 12+ years so a little behind on how things are setup these
> days.

As Java libraries go, the Rabbit Java client is pretty benign, distributed
as a simple JAR file with a very small number of dependency JARs.  If
you're using Maven for builds, the library is available in the usual Maven
repositories.  If you're using Ant or some kind of bespoke IDE build, there
are only a small, single digit number of things you need to get on to your
classpath.

> 2) Can anyone recommend an AMQP abstraction?

What sort of abstraction do you mean?  There's Spring Integration, which
provides various Enterprise Integration Patterns.  Also, Spring AMQP
provides some handy wrapper services atop the Java client like
auto-reconnection.  Those of course require you to either be or be willing
to become something of a Spring guy (I'm not much of one).

One of the best starting points would be the Rabbit tutorials on the
website, which come in Python and Java flavors...  these cover some core
messaging patterns and use cases in a pretty distraction-free way:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-one-java.html

Best regards,
Jerry