[rabbitmq-discuss] JAVA client / non daemon threads / shutdown hook

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 24 14:25:13 BST 2012

Bartłomiej,

Thank you for your thoughts. Your solution 1. is what is being currently
proposed, with the (still undecided) feature that it may not apply to
the Consumer callback threads. However, I dislike options and
parameters, principally because we have to explain everything to users,
and it confuses people if there are a lot of obscure parameters -- even
if most people don't set them.

Therefore, I'm considering proposal number 2. This would be a change in
behaviour to make the MainLoop thread (this is the connection management
thread, which receives all the channels' communications) a daemon
thread, and to leave the Consumer callback threads as non-daemon.

What this means is that the users that never register any Consumers
(synchronous consumers use basic.get) will not get any Consumer threads
allocated (unless they do a clean shutdown, in which case there is a
trivial one which is short-lived). So when they exit (without a clean
shutdown) everything will disappear when the Jvm terminates.

Users that want to have things remain will register Consumers, which
means that threads will get allocated, and these will keep everything
alive, even if the main thread terminates, until shutdown, which can be
driven off of the Consumer callback or will be precipitated if the
connection closes. Cleanup will then happen and if the Jvm is waiting to
terminate it will do so then.

This appears to me to fit the bill for both parties, without anyone
having to set any options.

In a complex environment, the way to allow these threads to finish
explicitly is to break the connection. The close mechanisms will then
get a chance to run, hopefully designed to shut other resources down if
the Consumers are managing them.

Publishers wouldn't register Consumers, either, and presumably would
handle receiving of confirms, and so on, in the main thread, so would
not stop everything until ready to do so. Again, no Consumers: no
non-daemon threads.

So, it would seem to me that making MainLoop a daemon thread is the best
of all possible worlds.

Btw, historically the callbacks were executed on the MainLoop thread, so
making it a daemon was not an option. Recently the threading model
changed and so we haven't spotted that now the MainLoop thread can be a
daemon.

Would this meet your requirements?

Steve Powell  (a happy bunny)
----------yet more definitions from the SPD----------
corrugate (n.) T.V. soap scandal.
olympic (n.) A camp road-digger.
jamboree (n.) A conserve made from French cheese.