[rabbitmq-discuss] Connections in state "flow"

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 24 11:16:43 BST 2012

Hi Pablo.

This is the per-connection flow control kicking in. This is designed to
rate limit publishers which are publishing faster than messages can be
queued, since otherwise these messages end up ballooning memory use
waiting to get into queues, which rarely ends well.

See http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html

Note that when flow control happens the affected connections cannot send
data to RabbitMQ. This includes message acks, so it's a good idea to use
different connections for publishing and consuming. Could this explain
why you say all your consumers stop working?

But note that the screen capture you sent shows messages being consumed.

Cheers, Simon

On 23/05/12 20:43, Pablo Molnar wrote:
> I'm attaching more info about the cluster. All the memory and disk
> watermark levels are green: http://i.imgur.com/pXCcK.png
>
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Pablo Molnar<pablomolnar at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently upgrade to RabbitMQ 2.8.2 and experiencing problems with the
>> connections. Every so all my consumers stop working and the connections
>> state is "flow" in the RabbitMQ mgmt plugin.
>> This is a block issue for me and if I cannot resolve this today I have to
>> rollback the whole cluster to 2.7.1 back.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Pablo

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware