[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq was shutdown unwanted

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 22 08:30:27 BST 2012

On 22/05/2012 03:00, Cloud DNS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My rabbitmq is running on Ubuntu 9.10 server 64bit.
> The memory on this host is 16GB, CPU is two of Xeon E5410.
> Last night rabbitmq got shutdown unwanted, the error log is:
>
> # cat startup_err
> Erlang has closed
>
> Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
> eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate 4454408120 bytes of memory (of type "heap").
> Aborted
>

> After startup by hand, the current memory usage is:
>
> # free -m
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 16077 15712 364 0 13 11437
> -/+ buffers/cache: 4262 11814
> Swap: 3812 5 3806
>

> So please help why it got down? how to avoid it later?
> We have rabbitmq in important application. Thanks.

Well your rabbit has 'run out of memory' - or to be more precise, the OS
is unable to provide allocation so the Erlang runtime has shut down.

It's not clear from `free -m` what is really going on, but just checking
after startup is probably insufficient to tell you anything. Perhaps
running `ps` or `top` whilst rabbit is *busy* will tell you more. You
can also use the management plugin or `rabbitmqctl status` on the
command line to get more information about rabbit's memory usage.

I would also suggest reading through http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html
to help get an idea of what kind of tuning facilities are available.

Cheers,
Tim