[rabbitmq-discuss] STOMP adapter lose the last message of a burst

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Mon May 21 12:04:57 BST 2012

Hi José,

I can reproduce your bug locally with 100 messages, but with 50 messages
it doesn't seem to happen. Your testcase isn't clear about which of the
messages it is losing. I suspect it is one of the first set of 100.

So I installed Wireshark (are you familiar with this tool?) and looked
at the message traffic. As far as I can see the last buffer is NOT sent
to the broker from the perl app. Autoflush() appears to make no
difference, and autoflush(1) in the loop (after the 100 messages) also
doesn't cure the problem.

I modified your test a little to put in a rolling -123456789, rather
than all X's, to check what is in the end of the buffer, and I note that
the last data buffer sent was short.

If I include a DISCONNECT at the end, this doesn't improve. (Note that
after the test has run one message is missing.)

There appears to be some glitch in which a buffer/packet is not sent.

I'm accumulating a Wireshark trace of this; but it appears to me that
this is a Perl client problem.

My next questions are as follows: When you tested with Apollo, are you
using exactly the same perl? and libraries? and testcase? Have you tried
this test with a different client library (say, Python instead of Perl)?

At the moment I cannot see or detect any STOMP adapter problems which
might account for this problem.

Steve Powell  (a happy bunny)
----------some more definitions from the SPD----------
chinchilla (n.) Cooling device for the lower jaw.
socialcast (n.) Someone to whom everyone is speaking but nobody likes.
literacy (n.) A textually transmitted disease usually contracted in childhood.