[rabbitmq-discuss] Disk space monitoring watermark issue on 2.8.2

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon May 21 11:29:19 BST 2012

Hi,

On 21/05/12 01:18, Roshan Pradeep wrote:
> Thanks Brenden for your explanations. But whats the reason behind to
> introduce this kind of RabbitMQ space notification.

To prevent the broker from crashing when it runs out of disk space.

> Currently we use the RabbitMQ to push and get messages. With that flow,
> when someone push a message to a queue there is always an receiver setup
> to pick it. So we are not storing messages (but if the receiver is not
> functioning obvious we need to store the messages). All our queues
> are durable.

Even if messages are not published persistent they may still be flushed
to disk if the broker comes under memory pressure.  If the default
configuration is too conservative for you then set the required free
space to a small number (e.g. 0).

See 'disk_free_limit' here:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/configure.html#configuration-file
http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html#diskfreesup