[rabbitmq-discuss] Cannot start or stop RabbitMQ using rabbitmqctl

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Wed May 16 14:28:48 BST 2012

Hi,

Basically the erlang.cookie belongs to a particular user. So the Erlang
will load the cookie of the user running the commands rabbitmqctl,
rabbitmq-server and so on.

So if you want to gracefully stop that node you need to run *rabbitmqctl
stop* with the same user that is running your current rabbitmq process.

To find that user try running: *ps aux | grep rabbit*

-Alvaro