[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq memory leak in 2.7.0/2.8.1

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 10 07:17:40 BST 2012

Monish,

On 10/05/12 05:09, cogitate wrote:
> We are in the advanced stage of performance testing of a demanding
> application.  This application consists of a large number (2357)
> processes that connect to a local RabbitMQ server.
>
> RabbitMQ version: 2.7.0-1
> Erlang version: Erlang R14B02 (erts-5.8.3) [source] [64-bit] [smp:
> 24:24] [rq:24] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
> Linux kernel: Linux plt68w98m7 2.6.18-212.el5 #1 SMP Wed Aug 11
> 23:22:39 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
> Hardware: Dell R610 with 24GB memory and 24 CPUs.
> RabbitMQ server configuration:  default configuration from the rpm
> package, no customization.
> [...]
> further we ran the same tests with:
> erlang-R15B01-0.x86_64.rpm
> rabbitmq-server-2.8.1-0.i386.rpm

The latter is a much better base to investigate this further, though you
should upgrade rabbit to 2.8.2. Please run all further tests on that.

> I have a tester that allows one service call to fan out 120 service
> calls.
> When I ran the tester with a loop count of 10,000, it would generate
> about 1.2M calls. After the test is finished, you end up with 475MB
> virtual memory and 335MB resident memory. In the middle of the
> testing, I have seen memory usage up to 700M virtual memory and 400MB
> resident memory.
>
> If you restart the test, the memory would keep going up. Imaging that
> we want to keep our servers up for a release cycle, we would run  out
> of memory.

The memory use may stabilise at some point. I would recommend running
your tests for a longer duration to see whether that happens. If memory
use does indeed keep creeping up, please send us the output of
'rabbitmqctl report' at that point.

Regards,

Matthias.