[rabbitmq-discuss] please help understanding why my pool of channels are blocking.

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 8 12:35:28 BST 2012

Gautam,

Of course, as Matthias pointed out, everything eventually goes down a
connection. If this is shared between the channels then SENDing
messages from the client will clearly serialise at the connection level.
This is what I'm seeing here, too.

Individual messages are not split into chunks (as they would have to be
to multi-plex them with others on the network connection), so each
message will block out all other activity on the connection until it
is completed.  Larger messages will block for longer.

The reason why you might want multiple channels on one connection is if
you want to multi-thread work at the client end -- for example Consumer
callback work. Each connection has a thread-pool of executors to run
consumer callbacks (deliveries and so on) so that multiple channels can
run their callbacks simultaneously. Frames received from the server
still come in serially over the connection, but the callbacks they
trigger can run in independent threads if they are for distinct
channels.  You appear not to be doing any consuming, so this is not
your problem.

AFAIK there isn't a standard for multi-plexing channels/connections at
the client end, but I suggest that you simply increase the number of
underlying connections to relieve the bottleneck you are seeing. If, for
instance, you introduce, 5 connections with 10 channels each you could
see if this helps things.

Varying the number of channels per connection will allow you to tune the
potential contention for each connection. Only you can tell what
the likely contention is to be.  The selector process for channels might
want to favour channels which are for connections with fewer used
channels already.

Let us know how you fare.

Steve Powell  (a happy bunny)
----------some more definitions from the SPD----------
chinchilla (n.) Cooling device for the lower jaw.
socialcast (n.) Someone to whom everyone is speaking but nobody likes.
literacy (n.) A textually transmitted disease usually contracted in childhood.